Board of Education
- BOE Overview
- BOE Meeting Live Stream
- Director Districts
BOE Meeting Documents
- 2019-2020 Meeting Packets
- 2018-2019 Meeting Packets
- 2017-2018 Meeting Packets
- 2016-2017 Meeting Packets
- 2015-2016 Meeting Packets
- 2014-2015 Meeting Packets
- 2013-2014 Meeting Packets
- 2012-2013 Meeting Packets
- 2011-2012 Meeting Packets
- 2010-2011 Meeting Packets
- 2009-2010 Meeting Packets
- 2008-2009 Meeting Packets
- BOE Meeting Audio Archives
- Section A: Foundations & Basic Commitments
- Section B: School Board Governance & Operations
- Section C: General School Administration
- Section D: Fiscal Management
- Section E: Support Services
- Section F: Facilities Planning & Development
- Section G: Personnel
- Section H: Negotiations
- Section I: Instruction
- Section J: Students
- Section K: School-Community-Home Relations
- Section L: Education-Agency Relations
KB Parent Involvement in Education
Title Parent Involvement in Education
Office/Custodian Education/Executive Director of Learning Services
The Board of Education believes that the education of each student is a responsibility shared by the school as well as parents. The Board recognizes the need for a constructive partnership between the District and parents that provides for two-way communication and fosters educational support for students and parents. In this policy, the word “parent” also includes guardians and other members of a student’s family involved in the student’s education.
In keeping with these beliefs, it is the intention of the District to cultivate and support active parental involvement.
To that end all District schools shall:
1. Consult with and encourage parents to share in school planning and in the setting of objectives through the School Accountability Committees (SAC).
2. Help parents understand the educational process and their role in supporting student achievement.
3. Inform parents of school choices within the District, including but not limited to, information on open enrollment, choice programs and charter school options.
4. Provide opportunities for parents to be informed about their student’s progress toward attaining proficiency on state and District content standards.
5. Provide appropriate avenues for parents to find support in their role.
6. Encourage formal organizations for parents at each school building as well as at the District level.
7. Provide information related to school and parent programs, meetings and other activities to the parents of all children in a format and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parent can understand.
8. Provide such other reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents may request.
The Board also recognizes the special importance of parental involvement to the success of its Title I and Limited English Proficient (LEP) programs and directs the Chief Education Officer or designee to ensure that the District and schools jointly develop with parents written parent involvement policies that meet the requirements of federal law.
Adopted: August 12, 2010
Revised: October 27, 2011
Reviewed: July 14, 2016
Reviewed: September 12, 2019
C.R.S. 22-7-301 et seq. (measures to increase parental involvement in public education)
C.R.S. 22-11-302 (1)(g) (duties of the district accountability committee include increasing parent engagement)
C.R.S. 22-11-402 (1)(h) (duties of the school accountability committees include increasing parent engagement)
C.R.S. 22-30.5-109 (publicity regarding educational options)
C.R.S. 22-32-142 (1) (board must adopt parent engagement policy and identify a district employee to act as “point of contact”)
AE, Accountability/Commitment to Accomplishments
AEA, Standards Based Education
IHBIB, Primary/Preprimary Education
KB, Public Information and Communications
KBA, Title I Parent and Family Engagement
KBA-E, Title I Parent Involvement
KD, Public Information and Communications