ICA School Year/School Calendar/Instruction Time
Title School Year/School Calendar/Instruction Time
Office/Custodian Education/Executive Director of Learning Services and CEO
Prior to the end of the school year, preferably by the February regular meeting, the Board of Education shall adopt a calendar for the following school year. The calendar shall specify the days during which district schools shall be in session, the days on which the district will close in observation of federal holidays, and the dates of major breaks.
The calendar shall provide for sufficient days to meet the contact hours required by Colorado statute, including a reasonable buffer to account for weather or other emergency delays or closures. The calendar and bell schedules shall calculate student contact time based on the Board’s definition of “actively engaged in the educational process.” The calendar shall include a sufficient number of days to allow the Chief Education Officer and Zone Leaders flexibility in supporting the district’s strategic priorities, including how best to address the needs of all students to enable them to meet or exceed state and District content standards.
Based on the expressed preferences of our parents, staff, and other community stakeholders, the calendar shall conform as nearly as possible to the following parameters:
· The first day of school for students shall be in early August, but not before August 1.
· The calendar shall include a two-week fall break commencing on the second Monday in October.
· The calendar shall include a scheduled school day on Veterans Day. District 49 does not cancel school on Veterans Day—instead, our schools observe and recognize the sacrifices and contributions of our veterans through programs and focus lessons at school.
· The calendar shall include a full week break for students and teachers during Thanksgiving week.
· The calendar shall include a Christmas break of at least two full weeks.
· The calendar shall include a two-week spring break, typically beginning the second or third Monday in March—preferably coordinated with colleges and other local districts
· Graduations for our comprehensive high schools shall be scheduled on the Saturday before Memorial Day.
· The school year shall end before Memorial Day.
· When possible, professional development days shall be scheduled before Monday holidays to create a four-day break for students and families.
· The calendar shall include professional development as full-day sessions—avoiding the practice of half-day schedules.
· High schools may continue to offer short-day schedules via late start or early release to accommodate teacher professional planning.
· The calendar shall maintain a nominal teacher contract of 182 days, with appropriate and necessary adjustments to work calendars for Educational Support Personnel and other staff.
Portions adopted: April 21, 1977, and November 3, 1977
Revised to conform with practice: date of manual adoption
Revised: August 4, 1999
Revised September 2, 1999
Revised: December 12, 2002
Revised: January 9, 2003
Revised: August 14, 2003
Revised: September 4, 2003
Revised: February 11, 2010
Revised: September 8, 2011
Revised: February 11, 2016
Reviewed: June 28, 2017
Reviewed: August 10, 2017
C.R.S. 22-1-112 (School year and national holidays)
C.R.S. 22-32-109 (1)(n) (duty to determine school year and instruction hours)
C.R.S. 22-33-102 (1) (definitions of academic year)
C.R.S. 22-33-104 (1) (compulsory attendance law)
C.R.S. 22-44-115.5 (fiscal emergency)
1 CCR 301-39, Rules 2254-R-2.06 (school year and instruction hours; definition of contact/instruction time)
EBCE, School Closings and Cancellations