ICA School Year/School Calendar/Instruction Time
School Year/School Calendar/Instruction Time
Education/Executive Director of Learning Services and CEO
• The first day of school for students shall be in early August, but not before August 1.
• The calendar shall include a two-week fall break commencing on the second Monday in October.
• The calendar shall include a scheduled school day on Veterans Day. District 49 does not cancel school on Veterans Day—instead, our schools observe and recognize the sacrifices and contributions of our veterans through programs and focus lessons at school.
• The calendar shall include a full week break for students and teachers during Thanksgiving week.
• The calendar shall include a Christmas break of at least two full weeks.
• The calendar shall include a two-week spring break, typically beginning the second or third Monday in March—preferably coordinated with colleges and other local districts
• Graduations for our comprehensive high schools shall be scheduled on the Saturday before Memorial Day.
• The school year shall end before Memorial Day.
• When possible, professional development days shall be scheduled before Monday holidays to create a four-day break for students and families.
• The calendar shall include professional development as full-day sessions—avoiding the practice of half-day schedules.
• High schools may continue to offer short-day schedules via late start or early release to accommodate teacher professional planning.
• The calendar shall maintain a nominal teacher contract of 182 days, with appropriate and necessary adjustments to work calendars for Educational Support Personnel and other staff.
- Portions adopted: April 21, 1977, and November 3, 1977
- Revised to conform with practice: date of manual adoption
- Revised: August 4, 1994
- Revised September 2, 1999
- Revised: December 12, 2002 (emergency)
- Revised: January 9, 2003
- Revised: August 14, 2003 (emergency)
- Revised: September 4, 2003
- Revised: February 11, 2010
- Revised: September 8, 2011
- Revised: February 11, 2016
- Reviewed: June 28, 2017
- Reviewed: August 10, 2017
- C.R.S. 22-1-112 (School year national holidays)
- C.R.S. 22-32-109 (1)(n) (Board of education – specific powers and duties – safe schools)
- C.R.S. 22-33-102 (1) (definitions)
- C.R.S. 22-33-104 (1) (Compulsory school attendance)
- C.R.S. 22-44-115.5 (Fiscal emergency – effect on budget)
- EBCE, School Closings and Cancellations