- Falcon Middle School
D49 Communications Receives Awards
We’re pleased to announce School District 49 earned distinguished recognition in the 2022 Colorado School Public Relations Association (COSPRA) Communications Excellence and Professional Awards. The program recognizes excellence in public relations research, planning, implementation and evaluation.
The D49 Communications Department accepted 15 awards in multiple categories, including the COSPRA Medallion Award, which recognizes superior comprehensive programs and campaigns grounded in strategic communication best practices.
Independent, experienced professionals from other school public relations associations chapters in Arizona, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Washington evaluated entries. All submissions went through a rigorous competition in which entries are judged against the highest standards in the profession.
Peter Hilts, chief education officer for D49, said, “It is a testament to the skill and character of our communications team that they were recognized for excellent communications during a time of great uncertainty and intense need for rapid, accurate updates. Throughout the crisis, our team reassured the entire community by continuing to report on the people and programs that make D49 the best choice. The fact that every member of the team earned individual recognition points to the talent and commitment of the entire department.”
A summary of the awards presented to D49 is below. Thank you all for the privilege of serving and sharing the stories of the Best Choice to Learn, Work and Lead!
Medallion Award: For superior comprehensive programs and campaigns grounded in strategic communication best practices
COVID-19 COMMUNICATIONS: D49 | E49 - Adjusting to an Unprecedented Season of Learning
- School District 49 rapidly deployed a communications strategy at the outset of the disruptive season of learning created by the state’s rapid response to the COVID-19 public health emergency. Our approach consisted of creating a branded communications package known as “E49,” to prepare consistent messaging in multiple formats designed to support our students, families and workforce as we had to adjust to remote learning and work. We used our model to provide timely updates about the district’s plan to adjust to a rapidly changing environment, adapt to the extended nature of the crisis, and safely advance our regular in-person operations into the 2021-2022 school year.
Publications and Digital Media Excellence Awards
- “SSAE Gymnast Balances Athletics and Academics in D49 High Performance Program” by David Nancarrow - Award of Excellence
- "Education Wrapped in a Dumpling" by Joel Quevillon - Award of Merit
- “Alumnus Makes a Difference with Return to Scorpion Nation” by Amy Matisek - Award of Merit
- “Making the Move from Security Guard to Teacher” by Amy Matisek - Award of Merit
- “SMS Science Teacher Inspires Students and Teachers in Training” by David Nancarrow - Award of Merit
- Print Newspaper/Newsletter
- “The Dispatch E 49 issue” by the District 49 Communications Team - Award of Merit
- “Congrats, VRHS Class of 2021 - Masks Not Required” by David Nancarrow - Award of Merit
- “My Dad is My Hero” by David Nancarrow - Award of Merit
- “Teacher of Year Photo: Ashley Lowe” by Aaron Villescas - Award of Merit
- “Veterans Day Parade” by Joel Quevillon - Award of Merit
- “Vista Ridge High School Theatre” by Aaron Villescas - Award of Merit
- Special Purpose Video
- “D49 AFJROTC Cadets Receive Scholarships” by Amy Bremser - Award of Merit
- “D49 Celebrates Bus Driver Appreciation and Bus Safety Week” by Amy Bremser - Award of Merit
- “Law Enforcement Appreciation Video- Saluting the 'Best of the Best,' Our D49 School Resource Officers” by Amy Bremser - Award of Merit