D49 Student COVID-19 HealthScreening Protocol for 2020-2021
Health Screening at Home
2021-2022 School Year we continue to encourage AT HOME Illness screening for all staff & students and remain home when ill.
Exclusion Criteria: This list refers to NEW symptoms or Change in usual symptoms:
Students and Staff are NOT to report to school if they are experiencing:
- Feeling Feverish, having chills, or temperature of 100.4 or higher
- New or unexplained persistent cough
- Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Fatigue, Muscle Aches, Headache, Sore Throat, Runny Nose/Congestion
- GI (Nausea/Vomiting/Diarrhea)
- Other signs of illness requiring exclusion (see illness guidelines “How Sick is too Sick?”) since even minor symptoms such as a cold/allergies have been linked to COVID-19 may require follow up with primary care physician who may advise testing for COVID-19, especially if your student may have had exposure to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 over the past 14 days.
Q: What if my student tests positive for COVID-19?
A: KEEP YOUR STUDENT HOME, seek advice from your student’s primary care physician (by calling your child’s doctor ahead) and notifying the school nurse at your child’s school immediately
Q: What is my student has illness, even minor illness and I received notifiction from the school that my student had possible exposure to COVID-19 in the past 10 days?
A: KEEP YOUR STUDENT HOME, seek advice from your student's primary care physician (by calling your child's doctor ahead) and notifying the school nurse at your child's school immediately.
**See exclusion guidelines on positive test/negative test with symptoms from El Paso County Public Health under references below:
What if my student becomes ill during school?
*Please note that individual schools reserve the right to send students home based on presentation of symptoms that are consistent with school illnesses currently present within the school.
If your student becomes ill during school, the school health room will contact the parent/guardian listed under student emergency contact immediately.
- We encourage parents/guardians to ensure emergency contact information is up to date.
- We encourage parents/guardians to have a plan developed to pick up an ill student from school quickly, including a secondary or back-up contact should the parent be unable to pick up the student
- Any student presenting with respiratory symptoms, potentially linked to COVID-19 will be immediately placed in an isolation area and be provided a mask/face cover.
- Students who become ill during school and are picked up will be advised not to participate in any athletics, clubs until cleared to return to school under illness guidelines “how sick is too sick”
References & Resources