District 49's school counselors are here to support students and families throughout the educational process. Counselors are an integral part of academic achievement through addressing the student as a whole person with various supports in all areas.
SSAE Counseling Services
Comprehensive Approach to School Counseling
Here at Springs Studio for Academic Excellence we believe that all students can achieve academic success and we are committed to serving the whole child. We embrace a comprehensive school counseling program, which integrates personal/social development, academic achievement, college & career readiness. Primary delivery methods of an effective counseling program include counseling, consultation, case management, coordination, collaboration, coordination, guidance curriculum, and program evaluation.
Supporting the Whole Child:
School counselors help students grow personally and socially through supporting the student with:
- Self-reflection and understanding of self
- Understanding healthy friendships/relationships
- Responsible and effective decision-making and making healthy choices
- Restorative practices / effective conflict resolution
School counselors support students with educational planning by:
- Identifying, working towards, and achieving goals
- Developing an optimistic approach toward learning
- Understanding individual learning styles & recognizing and utilizing academic strengths
- Providing regular academic advising and creating individualized student academic plans
- Improving time management and study skills
School counselors help students become college and career ready by:
- Introducing students to various college and career opportunities
- Using college and career planning tools to determine postsecondary options (YouScience)
- Providing real-life practice in areas related to college & career readiness
- Developing decision-making, time management, and self-advocacy skills
Individual Student Planning
School counselors work with students to establish short and long term personal, social, academic, college and career goals. Utilizing these goals, counselors help establish an educational plan of study for each student and introduce students to college and career tools (YouScience). Additionally, counselors help students and families identify possible barriers, along with aiding in finding solutions to limit or alleviate those barriers to support student success.
School counselors respond to students in need. Whether a student in crisis needs immediate attention or assistance is provided through various approaches, our counselors are there for all of our student’s needs. Counselors are able to respond to individual students or the entire school utilizing various resources, classroom instruction, guidance lessons, individual or group counseling.
School counselors serve as a liaison between and work collaboratively with parents, teachers, administration, and other educational professionals to ensure overall student success. Counselors advocate on behalf of the student, seeking equitable access to services and programs for all students. Counselors are available to discuss student concerns and to develop plans for student achievement.
SSAE Counseling Announcements
This is a short video to further explain how to put courses into IC.
Jenny AllenGrades 9-12 Social Emotional Support9th Grade AcademicOffice: 719-761-8490 (cell)Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgChelsea MartinGrades 3-8 Social and Academic SupportOffice: 719-432-8179 (Cell)Email: email@example.comKaty SwannGrades 10-12 Academic SupportOffice: 719-213-0336 (Cell)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org