Sand Creek High School Innovation Plan
Sand Creek High School is an “innovation school” under the Innovation Schools Act of 2008. Our organization is fully committed to the innovations implemented at the school. We believe in the vision and we believe in the dedicated professionals advancing it on behalf of Sand Creek High School's students. Implementing creative, efficient, student-focused, research-based methods of meeting the needs of students has been an integral part of Sand Creek High School's professional culture. Designating Sand Creek High School as an innovation school enabled this groundbreaking work to flourish and to serve as a model for others.
Our students are given the tools to be successful in high school, college and all other aspects of their lives.The purpose of the Sand Creek Zone is to develop students who are skilled at academics, are caring and contributing members of society, and are prepared to either continue their learning or join the workforce.Our commitments:
- We will increase student achievement, including academics and 21st century skills
- We will promote and develop an engaged community, with increasing attendance by eligible students
- We will build an operationally responsible organization, made up of high performing work groups
We are increasing student achievement, including academics and 21st century skills:
- Create and Maintain a Systems Focus
- Build an Efficient and Effective Curriculum
- Promote Instruction of the Highest Quality
Sand Creek High School graduate profile attributes:
- Sand Creek High School is raising achievement results by implementing a viable and IB curriculum, instruction, and assessment protocol aligned with State standards and community expectations for student learning.
- Rigorous curriculum and instruction meets the needs of all learners.
- Incorporation of a comprehensive ninth and 10th grade MYP International Baccalaureate infrastructure is providing a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world, and become critical and reflective thinkers.
- Students are engaged through innovative, research-based teaching techniques.
- A viable IB Diploma Program is preparing students for rigorous post secondary colleges and universities.
- The development of a media, arts and communication strand will focus students on developments in these skills and talents and prepare students for a post secondary setting within the arts and 21st century skills.
- A comprehensive education at the 11th and 12th grade level will provide Advanced Placement courses and a traditional studies path.
We're promoting and developing an engaged community, increasing attendance by eligible students
- Inquirers: Students develop their natural curiosity. They acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning. They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
- Knowledgeable: Students explore concepts, ideas and issues that have local and global significance. In so doing, they acquire in-depth knowledge and develop understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines.
- Thinkers: Students exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Communicators: Students understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication. They work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others.
- Principled: Students act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. They take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
- Open-minded: Students understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities. They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.
- Caring: Students show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment.
- Risk-takers: Students approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. They are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs.
- Balanced: Students understand the importance of intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well being for themselves and others.
- Reflective: Students give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and experience. They are able to assess and understand their strengths and limitations in order to support their learning and personal development.
- Establish a cohesive identity across the Sand Creek Zone with a focus on the International Baccalaureate program
- Include students, teachers, parents and other community members in the process of developing educational priorities and programs
- Create an effective infrastructure to disseminate and receive information to/from the community
- Prepare students for the 21st century using technology and high quality instructional strategies
- Employ zone-based operational, assessment and curriculum decision-making
- Connect with families and develop a sense of community
We're building an operationally efficient organization, made up of high performing work groups
- Sand Creek High School is focusing on sending resources directly to students in the classroom
- Teachers are accessing, and receiving training in, resources and tools necessary for exemplary instruction
- Teachers are collaborating in their professional learning communities to create effective, rigorous instruction through the use of assessment and data dialogue
- Sand Creek High School is fulfilling its responsibility to maximize taxpayer dollars while improving the quality of education for students