PATRIOT HIGH SCHOOL - E-learning plan 2020-21
E-learning at PHS will be similar to but NOT identical to how it was last Spring. Please read this entire description to fully understand the process and expectations. Student expectations are as follows:
1) Students will need to attend “Live Time” for periods 1-6 daily Monday through Thursday. Live Time is specific time set aside for each period for students to receive a 30 minute lesson (on Zoom) that is related to the assignment for that class period (see chart below for times). Students who fail to attend these meetings may experience difficulty with their assignments, so participation is STRONGLY recommended. If they miss Live Time sessions, it will be the student’s responsibility to contact their teacher about viewing a recording of the lesson.
2) On Fridays, students’ ONLY expectation is to attend a 60 minute Zoom meeting with their advisor and
advisory classmates from 10-11. REMEMBER: Advisory is a required elective at PHS for ALL students! We
will be working on weekly assignments related to personal and social-emotional growth, workforce readiness
skills, and checking in on how students are doing during this difficult time in our lives. This will involve doing
weekly assignments on PAIRIN after receiving a lesson delivered by the advisor. The rest of Friday should
be for completing any late / unfinished work and/or to receive additional teacher contact time (by appointment).
3) For our Construction and Culinary classes, hands-on work is essential to the learning process. Students in
these classes are expected to attend in-person classes (outlined in the chart below) as often as possible. If transportation is an obstacle for you, please contact your instructors (Mr. Baumann - email@example.com or Mr. Lustig - firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements about possible pick-up times. Masks and proper spacing will be required and students will be limited to ONLY their specific classroom and the nearest restroom.
3) After attending Live Time, students will need to log into Google Classroom and visit each of their assigned
classes throughout the day. Teachers will post additional information about the current assignment and/or
provide a “check-in post”. This check-in post is how we will be taking attendance so it’s incredibly important
that you comment on the post for each day in order to be marked “present”. Students will be marked “absent”
if they fail to reply to the post some time during that specific date (before midnight) - NO EXCEPTIONS.
Attendance will be entered into PowerSchool the following morning.
4) If additional help is needed from your teachers, students should contact them directly through Google
Classrooms or email. Although email is the preferred method, all staff members are currently working in their
classrooms at least 2 days a week so phone calls are an additional method for communicating with teachers.
In the event that we become restricted from working in the building, we will then start working exclusively
from home and will have to rely on email. Please contact the main office at 495-5505 to be transferred to a
5) If working on Edgenuity, all Unit Tests must be unlocked by the instructor and monitored by a PHS staff
member to ensure honest testing practices. This will include having a live Zoom session opened by the staff
member and the student sharing their screen during the test. The only other option would be to make
arrangements to come to the school and test in a private room with a PHS staff member present.
Live Time Schedule - Zoom meetings and in-person groups (in-person groups are in italics)
Construction AM section (8-10)
Culinary 1 & Today’s Foods (8-10)
Construction AM section (8-10)
Construction PM section (12:30-2:30)
Woods 1 (12:30-2:30)
Construction PM section (12:30-2:30)
Culinary 2 (12:30-3)
Culinary 3 (12:30-3)
- Teachers will be available to students Monday through Thursday from 8AM - 3PM and Fridays from 10AM-3PM. “Available” means that they are either:
- In their scheduled Live Time sessions
- In a Zoom meeting with students, parents, and/or staff
- Planning curriculum or grading student work
- Checking emails, Google Classroom messages, and voicemails and responding in a timely fashion
- Meeting with special populations in-person
- Teachers will provide links to Live Time sessions for each of their scheduled classes. During these sessions, teachers will use this time to accomplish any combination of the following goals:
- Introduce a new topic
- Review a previous topic
- Address the specific needs of students in the meeting
- Teachers will post information and material related to their classes on their Google Classrooms each Monday through Thursday morning (and Fridays for advisory only). If the current assignment takes multiple days, this post may simply be a reminder to keep working on that assignment.
- Due dates will be clearly posted for each assignment.
- Official grades will be maintained on PowerSchool and NOT on the Google Classroom grade book.
- Teachers will check email, Google Classroom messages, and voicemails left on their classroom phones first thing in the morning, during their planning periods, and before leaving for the day and will respond no later than 24 hours (typically much sooner).
- Teachers are NOT obligated to check messages or agree to meetings outside of regular school hours.
- Communicate when illness prevents students from being able to work with the main office by calling 495-5505. If the illness if COVID-related, please be prepared to provide appropriate paperwork from your physician for mandatory district reporting.
- Communicate technological difficulties with PHS administration. PHS is able to check out computers as needed.
- Please ensure that any borrowed computers are returned at the conclusion of e-learning and are properly taken care of.
- Provide a quiet environment for your student to work distraction-free.
- Check PowerSchool for grades and attendance weekly and communicate concerns or questions to the teacher and/or the administrators.
- Return messages from staff in a timely fashion (within 24 hours) so that we can best address your student’s needs.
- Inform the office of changes to your phone number and email address so that we can best maintain communication.
- Be positive and encourage your student’s best effort! We understand that this is a challenge for many students and families, so any help to keep your student motivated is greatly appreciated by all.
- Each Monday morning, messages will be posted in the “Circle Up, Everyone!” Google Classroom. This is meant to replace our in-person tradition of circling up in the gym. Principal Gard and the PHS staff will provide announcements, reminders, celebrations, videos, and random prize drawings. Students and parents alike should attend to help us solidify the PHS community.
- Our counselling team will also have a Google Classroom to assist with students' personal needs that may be affecting their ability to successfully complete their academic assignments. We remain committed to the entire student!
- Meetings with a guidance counselor, social worker, or administrator should be scheduled through the main office by calling 495-5505.
- Please practice responsible hand washing, mask wearing, and social distancing in your personal lives to help improve the infection rates in El Paso county so that we can return to in-person learning as soon as possible.