Coronavirus November 2020 Update
PATRIOT HIGH SCHOOL - E-learning plan 2020-21 (REVISED 11/7/20)
E-learning at PHS will be similar to but NOT identical to how it was during August 2020.
Please read this entire description to fully understand the process and expectations as some
policies have changed since August.
1) Students will need to attend “Live Time” for periods 1-6 daily Monday through Thursday from 9-12. Live
Time is specific time set aside for each period for students to receive a 30 minute lesson (on Zoom) that is
related to the assignment for that class period (see chart below for times). Attendance to these Zooms is
REQUIRED. Teachers will be rewarding students for active participation in Live Time with grade incentives.
Contact each teacher to learn more about how Live Time participation will help the students’ grade. If they
miss Live Time sessions, it will be the student’s responsibility to contact their teacher about viewing a
recording of the lesson.
2) On Fridays, students’ ONLY expectation is to attend a 60 minute Zoom meeting with their advisor and
advisory class from 10-11. REMEMBER: Advisory is a required elective at PHS for ALL students! We
will be working on weekly assignments related to personal and social-emotional growth, workforce readiness
skills, and checking in on how students are doing during this difficult time in our lives. We will also help with
personal planning skills to help students be more successful with e-learning.
Finally, we will also use this time to complete benchmark assessments like Star 360 and ThinkCERCA as needed.
The rest of Friday should be to complete any late or unfinished work.
3) For our Construction and Culinary classes, hands-on work is essential to the learning process. Students in
these classes are expected to attend the scheduled in-person classes (outlined in the chart below) as often
as possible. If transportation is an obstacle for you, please contact your instructors (Mr. Baumann -
Masks and proper spacing will be required and students will be limited to ONLY their specific classroom and
the nearest restroom.
4) Special Education (SPED) services will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Contact time with the SPED
staff will primarily be met during Live Time meetings (Academic Fitness). It is the student’s responsibility to
attend all Live Time meetings. If additional time is needed, in-person (or Zoom) appointments may be
scheduled with your SPED teacher. In-person appointments will be very limited and must be scheduled (no
“drop-ins”). Please keep in close contact with the appropriate SPED teacher(s) to plan accordingly.
5) After attending Live Time, students are REQUIRED to log into Google Classroom and visit each of their
assigned classes throughout the day. Teachers will post additional information about the current assignment
and/or provide a “check-in post”. This check-in post is how we will be taking attendance so it’s incredibly
important that you comment on the post for each day in order to be marked “present”. Students will be
marked “absent” if they fail to reply to the post some time during that specific date (before midnight) - NO
EXCEPTIONS. Attendance will be entered into PowerSchool the following morning.
6) If additional help is needed from your teachers, students should contact them directly through Google
Classrooms or email to set up individual Zoom meetings or a possible in-person appointment. On Monday
and Wednesday afternoons from 12:30-3:00, students may sign up for in-person tutoring time at the
school. Spaces are limited to 20 students per day and no “drop-ins” are allowed, so please plan accordingly.
Please contact the main office at 495-5505 to be transferred to a specific teacher to make your appointment.
7) On Friday afternoons from 12:30-3:00, teachers will be meeting with students via Zoom meetings ONLY.
This is also when they will be working with our students who chose the “online only” option for this whole
semester. All students are welcome to reach out to each teacher to arrange for a private or small group
tutoring Zoom session.
8) If working on Edgenuity, all Unit Tests must be unlocked by the instructor and monitored by a PHS staff
member to ensure honest testing practices. This will include having a live Zoom session opened by the staff
member and the student sharing their screen during the test. Please make appointment via email and we will
ensure that a staff member can proctor the student’s test. The only other option would be to make
arrangements to come to the school and test in a private room with a PHS staff member present.
Live Time Schedule - Zoom meetings and in-person groups (in-person groups are in italics)
Culinary 1 (8-9:30)
Construction AM section (8-9:30)
Culinary 1 (8-9:30)
Construction AM section (8-9:30)
Culinary 2 & 3
Construction PM section
Woods I (2-3)
Culinary 2 & 3
Construction PM section
Woods I (2-3)
- Teachers will be available to students Monday through Thursday from 8AM - 3PM and Fridays from 10AM-3PM. “Available” means that they are either:
- In their scheduled Live Time sessions
- In a Zoom meeting with students, parents, and/or staff
- Planning curriculum or grading student work
- Checking emails, Google Classroom messages, and voicemails and responding in a timely fashion
- Meeting with special populations or individual appointments in-person
- Teachers will provide links to Live Time sessions for each of their scheduled classes. During these sessions, teachers will use this time to accomplish any combination of the following goals:
- Introduce a new topic
- Review a previous topic or check on progress on projects
- Address the specific needs of students in the meeting
- Teachers will post information and material related to their classes on their Google Classrooms each Monday through Thursday morning (and Fridays for advisory only). If the current assignment takes multiple days, this post may simply be a reminder to keep working on that assignment.
- Due dates will be clearly posted for each assignment.
- Official grades will be maintained on PowerSchool and NOT on the Google Classroom grade book.
- Teachers will check email, Google Classroom messages, and voicemails left on their classroom phones first thing in the morning, during their planning periods, and before leaving for the day and will respond no later than 24 hours (typically much sooner).
- Teachers are NOT obligated to check messages or agree to meetings outside of regular school hours.
- Communicate when illness prevents students from being able to work or attend with the main office by calling 495-5505. If the illness if COVID-related, please be prepared to provide appropriate paperwork from your physician for mandatory district and county reporting.
- Communicate technological difficulties with PHS administration. PHS is able to check out computers as needed and available. To arrange for a computer, contact Dean of Student Greg Cox directly at email@example.com. Supplies are limited, so please only request one if absolutely necessary.
- Please ensure that any borrowed computers are returned at the conclusion of e-learning and are properly taken care of.
- Provide a quiet environment for your student to work distraction-free.
- Check PowerSchool for grades and attendance weekly and communicate concerns or questions to the teacher and/or the administrators.
- Return messages from staff in a timely fashion (within 24 hours) so that we can best address your student’s needs.
- Inform the office of changes to your phone number and email address so that we can best maintain communication.
- Be positive and encourage your student’s best effort! We understand that this is a challenge for many students and families, so any help to keep your student motivated is greatly appreciated by all.
- Each Monday morning, messages will be posted in the “Circle Up, Everyone!” Google Classroom. This is meant to replace our in-person tradition of circling up in the gym. Principal Steve Gard and the PHS staff will provide announcements, reminders, celebrations, videos, and even random prize drawings. Students and parents alike should attend to help us solidify the PHS community.
- Our counselling team will also have a Google Classroom to assist with students' personal needs that may be affecting their ability to successfully complete their academic assignments. We remain committed to the entire student!
- Meetings with a guidance counselor, social worker, or administrator should be scheduled through the main office by calling 495-5505.
- Please practice responsible hand washing, mask wearing, and social distancing in your personal lives to help improve the infection rates in El Paso county so that we can return to in-person learning as soon as possible.
Return to Learn Plan UPDATE 08/31/2020
Patriot High School - Return to In-Person Plan (Fall 2020)
In conjunction with the district-wide “return to in-person learning plan”, PHS will bring students back into the classroom gradually with the goal of full in-person classes for ALL students upon returning from Fall Break (10/26). PLEASE NOTE: Students who chose the “online option” for the 1st semester will continue to NOT come to school and, instead, work exclusively online. For students who did not choose that option, our timeline to return to regular classes breaks down like this:
PHASE 1 (8/31-9/11) - Offering Afternoon ELO Appointments
- We will continue to hold classes in the same manner that we have since the start of the school year (30-minute Zoom “live time” along with online assignments).
- The ONLY in-person classes will continue to be the Culinary and Construction classes that currently meet on campus twice a week.
- Students on IEPs will continue to have options to meet with their SPED teachers through an appointment basis.
- NEW - Any students wishing to have some face-to-face tutoring (ELO) on campus with their teachers may do so in the afternoons from 12:30-3:00 by appointment only. These appointments must be made with Principal Steve Gard (firstname.lastname@example.org) and only 20 students may sign up per day on a first come, first served basis.
- During this afternoon tutoring time, students must arrange their own transportation to and from school since regular bussing won’t be available.
- During this afternoon tutoring time, students must be masked at ALL TIMES while in the building. “Hall-roaming” or other off-task behavior will not be tolerated. Any students refusing to follow these simple guidelines will be immediately asked to go home.
- During tutoring time, no new lessons will be delivered by the teachers. The teachers will, however, help them with any previous lessons that the student may be struggling with completing. This is meant to be productive time to help struggling students pass their classes.
PHASE 2 (9/14-10/9) - 50% In-Person Learning
- Beginning on 9/14, PHS will abandon our current schedule and start teaching classes on the regular bell schedule Monday-Thursday ONLY. This means no more 30-minute “Live Time” Zoom sessions and slight time changes to the current Construction and Culinary classes.
- Lunch will be provided for students who are scheduled to be in the building that day.
- Two additional custodial staff members will start on 9/11 to allow for a greater frequency of cleaning.
- Students in “Cohort A” will consist of students with last names from A-L. Students in “Cohort B” will consist of students with last names from M-Z.
- EXCEPTION: Since both the Construction and Culinary classes have already been meeting as full groups, we will NOT be splitting these classes into two cohorts. ALL students in these classes will be classified as follows:
- Culinary 1 will be in Cohort A
- Culinary 2 & 3 will be in Cohort B
- Construction 1 (morning group) will be in Cohort B
- Construction 2 & Construction 1 (afternoon group) will be in Cohort A
- Special emails will be sent to these students verifying this exception.
- Cohort A will come to school every Monday and Wednesday where they will go to all of their classes to receive regular in-person instruction.
- Cohort B will come to school every Tuesday and Thursday where they will go to all of their classes to receive regular in-person instruction.
- For both cohorts, on days when they are not in the building (“online days”), teachers will still have assignments for them to do (posted on Google Classroom just as they currently are).
- On their “online days”, students will still be expected to sign in to avoid being marked absent (just like we are currently doing). These are NOT “days off”!
- Circle Up will occur on Monday mornings at 7:50 for Cohort A and Tuesday mornings at 7:50 for Cohort B where students will receive announcements, recognition, and information for the week in the gymnasium (spaced 6’ apart around the perimeter of the gym floor).
- All students will wear masks at ALL TIMES while in the building and any hallway or bathroom loitering is strictly prohibited. Any students violating these expectations will be sent home for defiance.
- With no classes on Fridays, Friday will be reserved solely for afternoon ELO time (as outlined in the previous section above). Bussing will not be available on Fridays, so transportation must be pre-arranged and appointments are still required.
- Friday advisory Zoom meetings will end because students will attend advisory as outlined in the regular bell schedule.
- For students planning on riding the bus to and from school, parents should contact D49 transportation at (719) 495-1159 to verify the bus routes and whether your student will have a seat on the bus (due to limitations on the number of bus riders).
PHASE 3 (After Fall Break starting 10/26) - 100% In-Person Learning
- Cohorts will be dissolved and ALL students will return to in-person classes that follow the regular bell schedule Monday-Friday.
- Masks, hand cleaning, and distancing rules will continue to be upheld with students being sent home and disciplined for refusing to follow these expectations.
- With Friday classes now in session, afternoon ELO will revert back to how it was last year (1:35-3:05) and “Flex Fridays” will go into effect with tutoring and special clubs offered on those days. (These days are listed on the bell schedule document linked above.)
- All three phases of this plan are completely dependent on the continued recommendations from D49 leadership and the El Paso County Public Health department (EPCPH). If conditions require that we revert back to e-learning, further communication will be provided. (Let’s all hope that doesn’t happen!)
- Parent meetings will be held via Zoom as much as possible to cut down on the amount of people in our building. Please be willing to cooperate with this added safety measure.
- Visitors are NOT allowed in the building unless scheduled for a specific appointment with a specific staff member. Appointments must have a valid purpose and not solely for a casual visit.
- We all eagerly look forward to working with your students in-person again! Let’s all stay safe and responsible to ensure that this will happen!