Horizon Middle School E-Learning
Message from School Leadership
Welcome Back Panthers!
E-Learning Platform: Google Classroom will be the primary platform for all lessons/assignments for e-learning days. Other online learning platforms, such as, Schoology will be utilized in our Innovations classrooms.
Expectations For Teachers
- Teachers will work Monday – Friday. Monday will serve as a planning day. Lesson and instruction will be delivered Tuesday – Friday each week.
- All teachers will post lessons, assignments, links, etc., in Google Classroom, or Schoology, no later than 9:00 am each E-learning day, Tuesday – Friday.
- All teachers will be available to students by email during normal working hours, from 8:00 – 3:00, Monday – Friday.
- All teachers will hold “office hours” each day of e-learning, Tuesday - Friday. Office hours will be held virtually through ZOOM where students will be able to access a link within Google Classroom that will allow students to enter a teachers ZOOM classroom for instruction. Teachers will be available in ZOOM based on schedule below:
- 8:30 – 10:30 ---- Science, Social Studies and Enrichment teachers
- 9:30 – 11:30 ---- Language Arts, Math, Intervention, and SPED teachers
- 1:30 – 2:30 ---- ALL teachers
- Teachers may post directions or links, in Google Classroom, to other online resources such as Amplify, Reading/Math Inventory, etc... or similar sites directing students to complete tasks there. However, Google Classroom will serve as the primary place for students to login in to receive direction.
- Students have until 11:59 pm to turn in assignments on the date due, unless student(s) communicates with teacher otherwise.
- All teachers will take attendance, in PowerSchool, the day following each learning day (after checking student login).
- Accommodations and modifications will be provided to students on plans (IEP’s, 504’s, or ELP’s) and may include appropriate supplemental materials.
- Students who have plans (IEPs, 504s, etc.) that do not allow them to access digital learning, will need to receive appropriate supplemental material. Teachers may need to contact and email all learning materials to parents/guardians.
- IEP meetings will be held virtually through ZOOM, SPED teachers will send link to parents and others involved for access.
Expectations For Counselors
- Counselors are expected to monitor email, to follow up with students and families as necessary
- Counselors are expected to continue to conduct weekly check-ins with students in need, the students who are typically met with in person will receive weekly phone calls.
- Counselors will be available for students from 8:00 – 3:00, Monday – Friday. If students need to have a 1 on 1 conversation, they will need to email counselor and counselor will schedule a ZOOM meeting.
E-Learning For Students
Students should check their school email for access to their classes via Google Classroom, or Schoology for Innovations students.
- Complete all assignments for your classes on the e-learning day and submit or post your assignments by 11:59 pm on the day it is due, unless otherwise communicated to the teacher.
- Communicate with your teachers via email if you have questions or need assistance. Teachers will be available via email from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Students will access office hours for teachers when needed by accessing ZOOM access link with the teachers Google Classroom. Office hours will remain the same every day, Tuesday – Friday for teachers. (see teacher expectations for a list of Office Hourse by subject)
- Students that are unable to access Google Classroom will contact teachers by email to request copies, or work, to be sent by email. Students will also be allowed to scan and turn in work to the teacher through email if necessary.
- Students should do their best work and access teachers for virtual instruction, through ZOOM whenever support is needed.
- Student work will be graded and posted in PowerSchool each week.
- Failure to complete work will be marked as “missing” and will affect your grade.
- Renaissance will be pulled during 4th quarter and we will celebrate students who put in the work next year, during 1st quarter as always.
- Students will email their grade level counselor if support is needed and counselors will be able to schedule a 1 on 1 meeting.
- Log in to Google Classroom, or Schoology on E-learning days, Tuesday – Friday each week. In order for your attendance to be recorded, you MUST log in to your teachers classroom, for each period each day, before logging in to other online learning platforms.
- Failure to log in to Google Classroom (Schoology for Innovations) may result in an unexcused absence.
- Follow your schedule (7 periods) as if you were in school for that day.