Special Education Updates
Special Education Records DestructionPosted by Linda Koch on 3/27/2018
2016 Pikes Peak Interagency Transition Team DirectoryPosted by Linda Koch on 5/18/2016
Transitions Community AgencyPosted by Linda Koch on 4/28/2016
BlueStar Guide: Community Resource for Autism Asperger ConnectionPosted by Linda Koch on 8/18/2015
Special Needs Parent Toolkit (Military Families)Posted by Linda Koch on 5/6/2015
Special Education Advisory Council Overview
The Special Education Advisory Committee mission is to actively represent students with disabilities in School District 49, and impact decisions made on their behalf, in collaboration with families and staff, to enhance the quality of educational services.
Role of SEAC
SEAC provides District 49's Board of Education and special education administration with a staff, parent and community perspective regarding the needs of students receiving special education services. It's an advisory committee with no administrative or decision making authority over programs.
Purpose of SEAC
- Advise the special education department and district on services and programs.
- Educate stakeholders and the community on special education topics.
- Connect and collaborate with various school and community groups.
- Communicate with and provide a bridge between families, schools and community.
- Advocate for communication, cooperation and partnership among families, school and community in order to benefit all stakeholders who are involved with special education.
Parents Encouraging Parents
Parents Encouraging Parents conferences are designed to promote family and school partnerships that are essential in supporting students with disabilities and their families in schools and the community. Parents Encouraging Parents brings parents and professionals together by sharing ideas, discussing concerns, celebrating successes and obtaining information related to parenting, educating and partnering to support student learning. School administrators and principals, consider adding a brief PEP notice and the link on your website and in your newsletter to help inform families and professionals in your community of this learning opportunity. More detailed information for the 2014-2015 conferences are provided at the Colorado Department of Education website.