District 49 supports learning through assistive technology. The district's Statewide Assistive Technology, Augmentative and Alternative Communication interdisciplinary team is comprised of a speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist and assistive technology technician. The team provides consultative services for students with communication difficulties, which include:
- Evaluations by a multi-disciplinary assistive technology team to determine if low tech, light tech or high tech assistive technology will benefit a student with their communication needs;Training students, staff and families in the use and implementation of recommended assistive technology;
- Following up on the progress and future needs of the students;
- Providing resources to the staff; and
- Maintaining a districtwide inventory of assistive technology equipment.
- The SWAAAC team does not provide ongoing direct services.