Wellness Policy Overview
District 49's wellness policy and supporting guidelines focus on improving the health of students. Anyone interested in serving on the districtwide wellness advisory council, should email email@example.com for additional information.
Nutrition for classroom parties, celebrations, classroom rewards, fundraisers
- All food items must be store-bought with the nutrition information showing the product is 100 calories or less, 0 grams of trans fat.
- No candy or sodas are allowed.
- Birthday celebrations with treats must follow the wellness policy's guidelines.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are excluded from calorie and sugar limits.
- Food prepared in a private home may not be served at school to students because knowledge of ingredients, sanitation, preparation, and temperature of food in storage or transit is not available. In addition, quality and sanitation standards cannot be controlled.
Healthy Snack Ideas Under 100 Calories
Non-Food Celebration Ideas
Cascadian Farm Kid Sized Oatmeal Raisin Bar
Smencils (smell good pencils)
Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Goldfish 100 Calorie Pack
Angie’s Boom Chicka Pop Sea Salt Popcorn
6” Banana decorated with Sharpie and/or stickers
Stretch Island Fruit Leather
Applesauce on the Go
Post its in fun shapes
Fruit cups in 100% juice
Brothers All Natural Fruit Crisps
Minute Maid Kids + Minis 100% Juice Box
Seeds for planting
Trader Joe’s Apple + Banana Fruit Bar
Lead a Dance Break
Our commitment to physical activity
- Physical education is provided in elementary, middle and high school.
- Strenuous physical activity is not used (e.g. running laps, pushups) as punishment.
- Generally, students should not be required to “sit out” any part of recess as punishment unless there is a safety concern.
- Elementary school students will have a minimum of 30-minutes daily of physical activity. Recess for 1⁄2 day Kindergarten will be determined at those individual buildings. Physical activity can include recess, physical education classes, fitness breaks, active classroom activities, exercise programs, or active field trips.