Sand Creek High School Wellness
Below is a snapshot of how Sand Creek High School ensures school wellness. The slideshow following it provides images of our students and faculty united in action.April 28th from 5-7pm, is the Sand Creek Zone's Health and Wellness Expo! This year, the expo will be bigger and better than ever! There will be FREE food, FREE exercise classes, FREE childcare, FREE entertainment, a FREE mini cheer clinic, and FREE raffle tickets at the door for plenty of FREE door prizes! There will be over 30 vendors with tables set up in the main gym, all giving away a prize and YOU can win just by attending! With your attendance to this event, you will also be helping a club or sport raise $500!Each club and sport (per request) will receive tickets with their sport/club on it. If you present your ticket at the door, they will receive a point. The club and sport with the most people in attendance will win $500 from the Zone! They are also giving away $1000 to the elementary school with the most people in attendance, $1000 to the grade level at Horizon with the most people in attendance, and then of course, $500 to the club and $500 to the sport with the most people in attendance from Sand Creek.This is a great event and is helping your students! If no one gives you a ticket before the event, there will be blank ones available where you can write in your favorite club or sport so that they still get credit!There will also be a BLOOD DRIVE from 4pm to 8pm in the wrestling room so come out, donate blood and you can win some really cool prizes!Wellness Club
Terminate the Test Week
- We started a Wellness Club for students, so they might better find opportunities to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
- We started Fuel up for Finals Breakfast Burritos to encourage eating breakfast before testing or finals.
- Cocoa and Cram allows students the opportunity to study with their peers, and ask for help from teachers, while sipping hot cocoa.
- Stretch for Success incorporates Yoga and meditating.
- Our students learn critical test taking techniques to improve their testing scores.
Stretch for Success
Sand Creek High School Breakfast
- Sand Creek High School serves breakfast.
- Wellness Club cooked for everyone staying at the Ronald McDonald House.
Staff Wellness Parfait Day
- On Feb. 28, 2015, our Wellness Club and Matrix were freezin’ for a reason. Some 8 students and 3 staff members, along with Health Matrix members, plunged for Special Olympics. They Raised more than $550.
Spread the Word… To End the Word
- Sand Creek High School became an R-word campaign school
- Wellness Club members and Health Matrix took the pledge to no longer say the R-word and to stop those who do.
- All students are given an opportunity to join the cause
- On April 15, 2015, Sand Creek High School hosted a wellness club expo night from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- We offered an evening to educate and promote healthy lifestyles in the community.
- All of our District 49 community was invited.
- Healthy Snacks
- Fitness Bootcamp
- Color Run Sign Up
- Health Promotion Table
- Healthy Eating Tips
Wellness Policy Overview
District 49's wellness policy and supporting guidelines focus on improving the health of students. Anyone interested in serving on the districtwide wellness advisory council, should email email@example.com for additional information.
Nutrition for classroom parties, celebrations, classroom rewards, fundraisers
- All food items must be store-bought with the nutrition information showing the product is 100 calories or less, 0 grams of trans fat.
- No candy or sodas are allowed.
- Birthday celebrations with treats must follow the wellness policy's guidelines.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are excluded from calorie and sugar limits.
- Food prepared in a private home may not be served at school to students because knowledge of ingredients, sanitation, preparation, and temperature of food in storage or transit is not available. In addition, quality and sanitation standards cannot be controlled.
Healthy Snack Ideas Under 100 Calories
Non-Food Celebration Ideas
Cascadian Farm Kid Sized Oatmeal Raisin Bar
Smencils (smell good pencils)
Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Goldfish 100 Calorie Pack
Angie’s Boom Chicka Pop Sea Salt Popcorn
6” Banana decorated with Sharpie and/or stickers
Stretch Island Fruit Leather
Applesauce on the Go
Post its in fun shapes
Fruit cups in 100% juice
Brothers All Natural Fruit Crisps
Minute Maid Kids + Minis 100% Juice Box
Seeds for planting
Trader Joe’s Apple + Banana Fruit Bar
Lead a Dance Break
Our commitment to physical activity
- Physical education is provided in elementary, middle and high school.
- Strenuous physical activity is not used (e.g. running laps, pushups) as punishment.
- Generally, students should not be required to “sit out” any part of recess as punishment unless there is a safety concern.
- Elementary school students will have a minimum of 30-minutes daily of physical activity. Recess for 1⁄2 day Kindergarten will be determined at those individual buildings. Physical activity can include recess, physical education classes, fitness breaks, active classroom activities, exercise programs, or active field trips.