• FAQs


    When is the Preschool Roundup for the 2022-2023 school year?

    Preschool Roundup will be held Friday, February 11th, and Friday, February 25th.  Please visit the Preschool Overview page for preschool contacts and the Preschool Application page for more information.  Preschool Roundup is your first opportunity to apply for the various preschool programs offered as well as to be included in the lottery for tuition-based preschool slots for the upcoming year.  At roundup, your child will have vision and hearing screenings. If there are any concerns about your child's developmental progress, you will be able to discuss your concerns with the preschool staff where additional screenings may be warranted. Activities for the children will be provided. This is typically a very busy event, so please pay close attention to any scheduling that may be posted on the preschool web pages. 


    Which school will my child attend?

    To assist you in finding your child's school, visit our district map, and input your child's home address. If you'd like to enroll in a school outside your neighborhood system, check our school of choice web page School of Choice Information, and learn more about that process. 


    What about school of choice?

    District 49 keeps the school of choice window open year-round. If you prefer to enroll a student outside your designated neighborhood school, complete a school of choice registration application.Visit the school of choice page School of Choice Information for more information.

    Questions about when a decision may be made or how the decision of acceptance (or declination) will be communicated must be directed to the school.


    Do I need to bring my children or family with me to register?

    No. Space is limited and there is no daycare provided.  It is typically quicker if the parents/guardians come by themselves, so they may concentrate on the application.  If you need to bring your children with you, please know that there is no one available to watch over them.


    How much time does it take to register?

    The registration process will take approximately 30 minutes for the first child and an additional 20 minutes per additional child. (If you need to register more than one child, please reserve more appointments.)

    Upon arriving for your appointment, please park on the south side of the building and enter through the main entrance near the flagpole. Our space is limited. We encourage only the parent/guardian who is completing the registration to attend.

    Before arriving for your appointment please review the required documents page and make sure you have ALL the required documents with you. *Registration cannot be started without these documents.


    How will I know when my application has been processed?

    When your application has been processed and your child has been enrolled, you will receive emails with the student's student number and other information regarding your next steps.  After application submission, frequently check your email, junk, and spam folders for these emails.


    Will I be informed if my application is incomplete or needs additional information?

    Yes. If for some reason, there are any documents or other information missing from your application, you will be sent a ticket to your email address from our LiveChat system that will list what is needed to allow further review and processing.


    Do I need to wait to register until my child has their yearly physical and receives updated immunizations?

    No. If you have immunization records - even if they will change with an upcoming physical - you may enroll.  Once your child has had their yearly physical and received updated immunizations, simply take the most current immunization report directly to the school for updating. 


    My child is enrolled in Preschool at one of District 49's coordinated (neighborhood) schools or at Grand Peak Academy or Pikes Peak School of Expeditionary Learning, do I need to do a new registration for kindergarten?

    No. All preschool students attending a neighborhood school, GPA or PPSEL will have their enrollments automatically rolled to the next appropriate grade level.   


    I've heard that District 49 has a military student transition consultant.  Is this true?

    Yes.  Please contact Jason White, Coordinator of Community Care at 719-494-8944 or jwhite@d49.org.  He is supporting this program until a consultant is hired.


    I've heard that there is a waiting list.  Can I "register" my child early to get on this list?

    Contrary to what you may have heard, there are no waiting lists for coordinated (non-charter) District 49 schools.  With the exception of the Preschool Department which keeps a waiting list for the current school year only, all other grades have no waiting lists. When you submit your registration application, your child will be enrolled in their neighborhood school.

    Please know that there may be waiting lists at District 49 charter schools which consist of Banning Lewis Ranch Academy, Grand Peak Academy, Liberty Tree Academy, Mountain View Academy, Pikes Peak School of Expeditionary Learning,  Power Technical Early College, Pioneer Technology and Arts Academy, and Rocky Mountain Classical Academy.  Please contact these schools directly for information regarding waiting lists and how to get on the list. 


    I registered my child.  When will I receive parent portal access?

    Once your child has started school, you will receive an email directly from the school with your parent portal information. 


    If I already have other children in the district, do I still need to provide proof of residency?

    Yes.  Proof of residency must be current (dated within the last 60 days) and cannot be anything with late or disconnect notices.


    Can I upload multiple files in each field?

    Not currently.  Each upload field will accept one document only.  If another document is uploaded, it will overwrite (erase) the previous document.  If you have a multiple page proof of residency (housing contract or lease or rental agreement) or a multiple page immunization record, you will need access to a scanner that will scan multiple pages into one file or a phone app that will allow multiple pictures to be combined into one file.


    Can I apply using my phone?

    Possibly. The application process may be done via your phone. Please keep in mind the file upload requirements.  If you are taking photos with your phone of your documents and you need to upload multiple documents into one file, you will need to have a phone app installed that will allow multiple photos to be combined into one file. 


    What happens if guardianship changes?

    For the safety and security of all students, if your children previously attended District 49 schools and you are now re-registering them, and there has been a change in legal status (e.g. divorce, custody, guardianship or restraining order documents), please upload the respective forms as one document under notarized guardianship. If applying in person at the central registration office, please bring these documents with you.


    How do I register my child in preschool?

    District 49 preschool programs are available to children age 3 to 5 residing within District 49 boundaries.  Our preschool classrooms are inclusive and welcome students of all skill levels, including children with special education needs.  Preschoolers are placed in their neighborhood school as space permits.  To indicate interest in the District 49 preschool program, visit the preschool application page.


    Records Request Information

    For new students enrolling in high school

    • Parents or guardians should request transcripts from the previous school and take them to the new school. This helps high school counselors quickly review credits and compile a schedule. 

    If you are registering a new student in District 49, or transferring a student from Banning Lewis Ranch Academy, Rocky Mountain Classical Academy, GOAL, or Power Technical to another District 49 school, please complete each registration step outlined below. 

    If your child is a current District 49 student transferring from one District 49 school to another, contact both the former and new school about the transfer. As a transfer, except for those mentioned in the above paragraph, a new registration application is not required. 

    If your child has left District 49 for more than 60 days, please complete a registration application with all required registration documents.

    Military Information:


    If you are a military recruiter requesting directory information, please contact the secondary school registrar directly.  


    From District Policy JRA/JRC

    Disclosure to military recruiting officers:

    Names, addresses, and home telephone numbers as well as directory information of secondary school students shall be released to military recruiting officers within 90 days of the request unless a parent or eligible student submits a written request that such information not be released. Reasonable and customary actual expenses directly incurred by the district in furnishing this information will be paid by the requesting service.