Springs Studio Family Engagement Council Bylaws
Article I - NAME AND PURPOSE
SECTION 1.1 NAME
The name of the organization shall be Springs Studio for Academic Excellence (“SSAE FEC”). The office and location of all operations and affairs of the FEC shall be at Springs Studio for Academic Excellence 6113 Constitution Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO, 80915.
SECTION 1.2 PURPOSES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities of the FEC are to serve as the accountability committee at Springs Studio for Academic Excellence as required by State of Colorado law and shall include:
- Adopting and monitoring a School Improvement Plan.
- Serving as a focal point for input from the school stakeholders.
- Providing recommendations and advice regarding school priorities in the areas of:
- Expenditures of school monies (any state, federal, local, or private grants and any other discretionary monies)
- School safety
- Academic performance
- Other areas as they arise which are pertinent to SSAE
SECTION 2.1 MEMBERSHIP AND OFFICERS
Membership in the FEC shall be comprised of, and the business and affairs of the FEC shall be managed by at least 7 individuals from the school community defined in the following section. The principal shall have full and final authority for facilitating a nomination and voting process for each position the initial members of the FEC to begin each school year.
SECTION 2.2 MEMBERS
The Members of FEC shall be comprised of the following categories:
- The school principal
- At least one classroom teacher who teaches at the school
- At least three parents or legal guardians of students currently enrolled at the school
- At least one adult member of an organization of parents, teachers, and students recognized by the school
- At least one person from the community who does not have a child attending the school.
NOTE: A person may serve in only one category in a single term. [C.R.S. 22-7-106(1) (a.5)}
SECTION 2.3 ELECTION OF PARENT MEMBERS
Annually, at the beginning of the school year, the Principal shall request nominations of parents who, to the extent practicable, reflect the student populations that are significantly represented within the school.
SECTION 2.4. RESIGNATION
Any member may, at any time, resign from the FEC by submitting a written resignation to the committee chair.
SECTION 2.5. VACANCIES
During the school year, any vacancies that may arise on FEC by reason of a member’s resignation or disqualification or for any other reason shall be filled by majority action of the remaining members of the committee.
SECTION 2.6. ATTENDANCE EXPECTATIONS
- Attendance at all regularly scheduled meetings of the School Accountability Committee is expected in order to facilitate continuing conversations about ways to enhance the quality of education in the school, and to avoid repetition in meetings.
- Members should not miss more than two consecutive FEC meetings without offering a justification that is acceptable to the members of the committee.
SECTION 2.7. REMOVAL
Any elected FEC member may be removed for failure to attend two consecutive meetings without offering a justification deemed appropriate by a majority of the FEC’s voting members, not including the member who is subject to the removal vote.
SECTION 2.8. CODE OF ETHICS
MEMBERS OF THE FEC SHALL:
- Actively promote and encourage the highest level of ethics within the FEC, and the school community.
- Conduct themselves with integrity, dignity, professionalism and respect for others.
- Render opinions, observations or conclusions in a non- threatening, non-confrontational manner.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the bylaws of the FEC, to comply with those rules in full, and to exemplify the highest standards of fairness and behavior.
SECTION 3.1 REGULAR MEETINGS
Regular meeting times of the FEC shall be established and distributed to Members at the first meeting of each year. All meetings shall be open to the public and should take place at least quarterly. To expedite school improvement planning, the first meeting of the FEC should be scheduled no later than September 15.
SECTION 3.2. SPECIAL MEETINGS
Special Meetings of the FEC may be called by, or at the request of, the Chair, or one-third (1/3) of the members. The person or persons authorized to call the special meetings shall fix the date, time and location of the meeting. All special meetings shall be open to the public.
SECTION 3.3. NOTICE
Written notice of any regular or special meeting of the FEC shall be distributed by general communication to a school community. The business, including an agenda, to be transacted at, and/or the purpose of, any regular or special meeting shall be specified in the notice of such meeting.
SECTION 3.4. QUORUM
A majority of the Members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any meeting of the FEC; but if less than a majority of the Members are present at a meeting, a majority of the Members present may discuss items and vote to adjourn, but may not take any other action.
SECTION 3.5. MANNER OF ACTING
- To the fullest extent possible, decisions shall be made by consensus. In the event that consensus cannot be reached, the chairperson shall call for a vote. A simple majority shall rule.
- All participants are expected to come prepared (read any materials sent to you prior to the meeting.)
- Keep the discussion on track with the stated purpose on the agenda. (Limit the focus.)
- Note what actions need to be taken as each agenda item segment is closed. Always assign actions/follow-up to a particular group or person. (Chair)
- Ad hoc committees to execute the FEC objectives shall be formed as necessary.
- During discussions, agree to disagree. Learn how to move on even if we have different points of view.
The officers of the FEC shall be a parent member serving as Chair and any other officers defined below as designated by action of the FEC.
SECTION 4.1. RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICERS
- Meet with the principal as needed to assist with planning for FEC meetings;
- Develop an agenda for each meeting;
- The Agenda for each regular meeting may include, but not (be) limited to:
- Call to Order
- Approval of Minutes
- Special Guests
- Subcommittee Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
- Preside at FEC meetings;
- Make appointments to any sub-committees that may be formed to execute the school objectives.
- Assist the chairperson as requested or needed;
- Preside at SSAE FEC meetings in the absence of the chairperson.
The secretary shall document activities, decisions, and attendance of the FEC and its committees for accountability. The duties of the Secretary shall include, but are not limited to:
- Keeping minutes of all meetings and maintaining an office notebook of meetings to be available to the public;
- Maintaining attendance records;
- Submitting attendance and minutes to the FEC membership for approval;
- Other duties as assigned by the chairperson.
SECTION 4.2. RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS
The principal shall provide key information regarding the current school educational plan and budgetary considerations. The role of the principal includes the development, through positive actions, of feelings of trust and mutual regard among the FEC, the community, and the staff. The principal helps to establish priorities for the FEC based on the goals, and encourages leadership from within the Council.
Faculty and School Staff Representatives:
The members of the school staff shall represent the views and interests of the total school staff. They will act as resources for the FEC by making available specialized information about educational programs, innovative ideas, and available resources. School staff representatives serve as a communication link between the FEC and the school staff, informing others of actions and activities of the Council.
Parents, Business, and Community Representatives:
The parent, business, and community members of the FEC shall represent the view of the parents, citizens, and business and community organizations of the school community. They shall act as resource persons for the FEC in the areas of community-related issues that affect the school and its students. They shall serve as a communications link between the FEC, business, community, and parent groups.
The FEC shall form Ad hoc committees to execute specific objectives shall as necessary.
The FEC shall identify a DAC representative on an annual basis. The DAC representative shall be responsible for attending DAC meetings throughout the school year. The representative shall keep the FEC apprised of all DAC activities and shall communicate matters of importance of FEC to the DAC as it appropriate. The FEC shall identify the DAC representative in the spring for service the following year.
The By-Laws of FEC shall be initially adopted and thereafter altered, amended or repealed by action of the FEC present at any regular meeting, or at any special meeting.