Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Tara McLaughlin
My name is Tara McLaughlin and I am the School Counselor at Meridian Ranch Elementary School. Please feel free to contact me if you have any concerns you would like to discuss or if you would like to schedule an appointment to meet. I look forward to another wonderful year with the staff, students, and families at Meridian Ranch.
What do school counselors do?
- Work with individuals and groups
- Help identify the needs of students
- Encourage better interpersonal relationships
- Promote positive attitudes and choices
- Aid teachers and parents with helping students
- Coordinate referrals to outside agencies
- Provide "preventative" services
- Maintain confidentiality (In any counseling situation, confidentiality is maintained except: in cases of suspected abuse or neglect, if a child poses a danger to self or others, or the child and/or parent/guardian gives permission to share information.)
Who are School Counselors for?
I am here for every student, every teacher, and every parent who is part of our school community.
The primary focus of school counseling and guidance programs at the elementary level is prevention. My goal is to promote the social and emotional growth of our students and help them develop more positive interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. The school counseling program is for every student at Meridian Ranch Elementary. Therefore, it is designed to reach every student through developmental, preventative education, and responsive services.
I will teach a series of classroom guidance lessons to every student at Meridian Ranch. These lessons are developmentally appropriate for each grade level and are generally preventative in nature. My goal is to help empower students with the self-knowledge, coping, and life skills that will enable them to become effective communicators, creative problem solvers, and responsible citizens... now, and in the future.
Students may be invited to my office to have lunch and play games and get to know one another. This is a great opportunity for the students to practice their social skills, make new friends and also feel more comfortable with the counselor.
I am available to work with students individually for a number of problems a student might present, such as friendship issues, difficulty in the classroom, on the playground, or on the bus, conflict resolution, new student orientation, anger management, or if they are experiencing a crisis, to name a few.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child that you would like to discuss with me, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 494-2905.