Gifted Early Access
The Colorado Exceptional Children’s Act and District 49 School Board Policy IHBB, allows highly gifted students, who do not meet the age requirement for enrollment into kindergarten or first grade, to apply for Early Access into school. To request information about an Early Access application, call our Gifted and Talented team at 719.495.1149, ext. 3284, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I know about Gifted Early Access?
Early Access is defined as a highly gifted four-year-old child entering kindergarten, or a five-year-old entering first grade. A highly gifted child is defined as a gifted child whose body of evidence demonstrates a profile of exceptional ability or potential compared to same-age gifted children. To meet the needs of highly advanced development, early access to educational services may be considered as a special provision.Early entrance into school is regarded as a form of acceleration. The decision to accelerate a child can have a profound effect on the child’s academic and social performance for the remainder of his or her school career. Therefore, District 49 adheres to a thorough set of research-based procedures to determine if a child is eligible for Early Access.
- House Bill 1021 stipulates that districts may count in their enrollment and receive State Educational Funds for highly advanced gifted students who meet the criteria established by Colorado.
- The district must abide by the rules promulgated by the State Board of Education.
- The district may charge a reasonable fee for the Early Access process.
- District responsibilities:
- Provide early access information to parents
- Educate teaching staff and community about Early Access
When is the deadline for Gifted Early Access applications?
- Applications are due by Thursday, February 27, 2020
What are the dates for District 49 Kindergarten birthdate cutoff?
Kindergarten birthdate cutoffs
August 15th for Evans Elem, Remington Elem and Springs Ranch Elem
September 15th for Bennett Ranch Elem, Falcon Elem, Meridian Ranch Elem, Woodmen Hills Elem, Inspiration View Elem, Odyssey Elem, Ridgeview Elem and Stetson Elem
What if our student has moved into District 49 after the application deadline?
- Applications will NOT be accepted after Thursday, February 27, 2020. Students and families have the option to apply for Early Access testing for your five-year-old entering first grade for the following school year (2021-2022).
What if our student has moved into District 49 due to Military orders after this deadline?
- MILITARY EXCEPTION: Per the Military Interstate Compact Agreement, any applications submitted after this deadline are allowed ONLY for students who have relocated to District 49 due to parental/guardian military orders. Proof of orders are required and should be included in the application. We are required by the Colorado Deparment of Education to make determination for Early Access, with this agreement, no later than School District 49's start date. This is the only exception. Directly contact Natalie Brown, Coordinator of Gifted Education.